Wednesday 13 February 2013

Book Review: Cutting for Stone



This is one of those books that has been on my radar for a while.  Then when a friend mentioned it again, I got right onto the library website to reserve it.  I'm glad I did.  It’s such a good book.  I loved the way each character was developed throughout the story and by the end, I felt like I knew them all so well.  My favourite part is that the book takes place mostly in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  There were so many places and scenes and names that I recognized from being there.  I gained more insight into some Ethiopian history too.  The book takes place at a hospital in Ethiopia and a few of the characters are surgeons.  So there are a lot of medical details.  If you have a weak stomach, some of the details surrounding the medical conditions and surgical procedures can be a bit intense at times.  The characters in the book go through a lot of “tough stuff” for lack of a better way to put it . . . major trials that bring them closer as family and friends.  I'm being kind of vague about the details because I don’t want to give away any of the story and ruin it for anyone.  Overall it was a great book.  I have to admit though, it took me forever to read it – not because I was ever uninterested or bored throughout it, but just because it’s a really long book.  Definitely worth the read though.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 A Bit of This and That. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator