Monday 29 October 2012

Book Review - Secret Daughter



This book tells the story of three people – Kavita the birth mom, Somer the adoptive mom, and Asha the daughter.  The story was extremely insightful and I appreciated the way the author portrayed the emotions of all three women.   Kavita and her feelings of guilt for not being able to raise her daughter.   Somer and her feelings of intimidation and fear with respect to her daughter’s birth mom and culture.  Asha and her feelings of wanting and needing to know more about her life in India – more than her adoptive parents are willing to share with her.  It really confirmed for me again the need to respect and honour the birth families of our kids as well as their countries and cultures.  It’s important our children feel comfortable asking questions and expressing their feelings about their early life before joining our family.  I believe we need to assist them and do everything in our power to help them get the answers they’re looking for. 

I enjoyed learning more about the country of India as well as Indian culture.  The author is the daughter of Indian immigrants from Mumbai where parts of the story take place. 

I don’t want to say a lot more about this book for fear I’ll give the story away.  It was a really good read and I would definitely recommend it.  

2 comments:

mc said...

I agree with your comments above! I adored this book....just finished it, oh, about 12 hours ago! it is a great one!

Anonymous said...

You two are so in sync.... Scary! I too enjoyed it. Very interesting!
d

Post a Comment

 
Copyright 2009 A Bit of This and That. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator